Orlistat is used in combination with exercises and dietary changes to help overweight or obese individuals lose weight. Obesity increases your risk of some diseases including high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, osteoarthritis and diabetes among others. Orlistat helps you shed excess weight and avoid regaining the lost weight. The gut releases enzymes that break down dietary fats into small molecules that the body can absorb. Orlistat inhibits the release of these enzymes in the gut. This reduces the amount of fats that the body absorbs. The undigested fats are released from the body during bowel movements. Orlistat is only effective when used properly or as directed by your physician. Below is a useful guideline on how to use Orlistat.
How to Use Orlistat
1. Determine your BMIDoctors prescribe Orlistat to obese persons whose BMI is above 30. The medicine is also recommended if your BMI is above 28 and your excess weight may worsen a prevailing medical condition. For instance, diabetic patients with a BMI of more than 28 can use Orlistat to lose weight.
2. Take the right dosageAdults and children above 12 years should take 120mg of Orlistat three times in a day. You should take the medicine during or within one hour of taking a fatty meal. Contact emergency medical services immediately in case of an overdose.
3. Combine Orlistat with other weight loss programsDo not over-rely on the medicine to lose weight. Orlistat should be combined with other precautions to be effective. Combine the medication with physical exercises and a healthy diet that contains less sugar and fats.
4. Do not take Orlistat when pregnantAny weight loss during pregnancy puts your child at risk. Although there is no medical evidence that the medicine is passed on to breast milk, it is advisable to avoid it when breastfeeding.
5. Inform your doctor of allergies and other medical conditionsConsult your doctor or pharmacists on the safety of using this medicine if you have any allergies. Inform your doctor of digestive problems and eating disorders in your medical history as well. Do not take the medicine before consulting a doctor if you are under medication for any other disease. Orlistat inhibits the absorption of some medicines.
6. Discontinue if the medicine is ineffectiveYou should lose at least 5% of your body weight after taking Orlistat consistently for three months. Discontinue the treatment if you do not reach this target.
Orlistat is an effective solution to weight loss when combined with lifestyle and dietary changes. You will suffer little or no side effects if you use Orlistat properly. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist if you experience any side effects after taking the medicine.